Missing those cafe pastas? Why worry when you can make it at home. This Baked Mac and cheese will tickle your taste buds and satisfy your cheese cravings.
BAKED MAC AND CHEESE
- 250g / 8 oz macaroni (elbow pasta)
- 1 tbsp (15g) unsalted butter (or 2 tsp oil)
- 2/3 cup (40g) panko breadcrumbs (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp (60g) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (50g) flour , plain / all purpose
- 3 cups (750 ml) milk , warmed (low or full fat)
- 3cup (100g) shredded mozzarella cheese , or more other cheese of choice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add macaroni and cook per packet directions MINUS 1 minute.
- After that, drain and return pasta to pot.
- Add butter and toss until melted. Set aside to cool while making the Sauce.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- In a large saucepan or in an ovenproof pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- After that, add about 1 cup of the milk and mix to dissolve the paste into the milk. Then add remaining milk and mix until lump free (use whisk if required).
- Mix in salt and Seasonings if using.
- Cook, stirring/whisking regularly, for 5 – 8 minutes until thickened to a cream consistency.
- Remove from stove, add cheese and stir – cheese doesn’t need to melt.
- Also, adjust salt to taste.
- Pour Sauce into pot with Macaroni. Stir quickly, then pour back into the pan or a baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumb topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until top is light golden. Don’t bake too long otherwise you’ll bake away the Sauce!
- Serve immediately!